Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve in Barcelona - Don't Forget the Desserts!


One of my favorite things about Christmas in Barcelona is that every year I get to experiment traditions and customs which are new (to me) and fascinating. And being the kind of person I am, I am always searching for the roots of the traditions. In a country where lunch is the big meal, there are few occasions to really celebrate the evening meal, and Christmas Eve (Nochebuena) is one of the best.

Many people plan this meal like an American plans thanksgiving, starting the preparations days in advance, so as to have everything ready. The dinner can be an intimate immediate family meal or a feast for family and friends.

In particular I've always liked the desserts, which can vary widely from region to region (and from town to town). Some things, however, are the same. If you are around during the Christmas season, you are sure to see an abundance of Turrons and Dulces de Navidad.

And never forget to have the Cava on hand, and have a very Merry Christmas Eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment